Tuesday, March 5, 2013

JavaScript in Rails 3.2

After struggling to get CoffeeScript running correctly in my current Rails app, I decided to try using plain-ol' JavaScript and everything worked like a charm. CoffeeScript is very cool (don't get me wrong), however, setting it up is a painful and poorly documented process that proved (in my case) to be fruitless. Anyhow, I though it might be helpful to document how simple it is to get normal JavaScript working on a Rails app.

Firstly, enter the following line in the view that needs JavaScript code:
    <%= javascript_include_tag "my_js_file" %>

This line ensures that my_js_file.js is included in the current view (note that in the "include tag" the ".js" is omitted).

Secondly,  simply code/add your JavaScript file to /app/assets/javascripts/. It will now be available in your view!

I am somewhat conflicted as to how valuable this modus operandi is (there are a few good articles arguing about the benefits of using CoffeeScript); however, at the current moment it is the best solution I have found. If you know any tips about linking CoffeeScript to Rails, please comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment