Monday, January 21, 2013

OpenSUSE 12.2 "Mantis" Review


I really like OpenSUSE. It's truly its own thing, in a world of Redhat and Debian derivatives. It's important to note that when I tried it out I used GNOME 3; I will try not to let that taint my review of this distro.

What I liked

  • Many options for the windowing system (meaning anything but GNOME 3).
  • Installation was easy.
  • Came with the LibreOffice suite (per opt-in) and some other useful programs.
  • The default partitioning scheme makes a partition for /home. This can be great if the OpenSUSE partition crashes and it needs to be re-installed without wiping personal files.
  • Unlike the Debian derivatives I am accustomed to, it actually had a recently updated copy of VIM!
  •  I think that having root access is a plus (feel free to disagree).

 Didn't Like

  • DISCLAIMER: This really could just be a GNOME 3 complaint: Although there are 6 workspaces, they are linear. Unless there is some hotkey that I don't know about, this means that you have to swipe through as many as 5 workspaces to get to the one you're looking for. Plus, because they are in a linear stack, unless your WOI (workspace of interest) is on the top or bottom, it loses some association points (it's hard to tell the PB from the J sometimes).
  • Doesn't come with the YUM package manager. Without it, getting some programs can be much more difficult.

 Surprises

  • By default, includes the mono C# compiler! I really was not expecting this.

Conclusion

Score: 8/10

As I said earlier, I dig me some OpenSUSE. It's unique, it's helpful -- I have no major complaints. If I made one suggestion it would be to use something other than GNOME as your desktop system.

Information

Distro Name:OpenSUSE 12.2 "Mantis"
Kernel:3.4.6-2.10-default
Size After Install:4.0 GB
Desktop Flavors Available:GNOME, KDE, XFCD, LXDE, Minimal X Window, Textual
Package Managers:Aptitude, Yast, RPM, Zypper
Languages/Compliers:Perl, C#, Python, BASH
Web Broswer(s):Firefox
Root Access:True
Has sudo:True

No comments:

Post a Comment